I had an awesome conversation with someone who had recently discovered me, and I had noticed that they had liked a fair chunk of my posts.
So I sent them a message and said hello.
Not trying to sell anything.
*JUST* genuinely wanting to connect with another human, who is in the same world as me.
That in turn leads to a call and now we will hang out out work together, all from having a genuine interest in getting to know the people who Like my work.
Now, Ive said this before – and this is the wrong way to network, or grow your online infuence:
1) add person as friend
2) Send ONE message (some done even send that) with a vague and cut/paste hello
3) pitch your fucking coaching programme
Mainly, because you look like a towering cock-womble…
Honestly, I know I can be accused of dumbing it down at times, but copy this = real connections and longer term relationships:
1) See someone you want to connect with? Add them as a friend
2) Wait for them to accept
3) When they have accepted – shoot them a PERSONAL message – have a read of their wall, what they like, and reference WHY you added them
4) Have NO agenda
5) Be a fucking human!
Equally, if that is a little too direct for you, try this:
1) Follow those people you wish to connect with
2) leave meaningful comments on their post, fairly regularly – but not SO often that you look like a stalker
3) Share their content, take them, reference WHY you shared it – again not often, ONLY if you actually rate what they have written
4) Interact on public message comments
5) Add as friend
6) Be a fucking human.
Honestly, does that sound that hard?
My friend Justin Devonshire taught me an amazing phrase that ‘Your Net Worth Is Your Network’
Do I have an amazing network?
I would say so.
Do I class these people as a means to an end, a $ sign, or someone I can get something from?
Do I fuck?
If that happens – great!
If not, don’t give a shit – the fact I have a meaningful connection means more to me than some short term gain. That and I actually like people!
So next time you add someone on FB – have some manners if they accept and at least shoot them a little message.
Trust me – this goes a long way 🙂