Effort, goes a long way.
In this online world, it’s super easy to send a FB message, an email or a cheeky tweet.
But to offer to drive/train/fly to meet someone for a coffee?
It’s -sigh, sorry for using this phrase -next level stuff.Doesn’t matter what your business or niche is, this WORKS, and it’s something I learned from Big Papa Nige, AKA Dad, that has allowed me to secure some awesome and lucrative contracts, as well as broaden and strengthen my network fast.
- So I have a little exercise for you:
take a piece of paper
- write out 10 people you would like to work for, connect with or JV
- find their postal address, write this down
- craft a compelling 1-page letter with 3 paragraphs
Here’s how to structure the letter:
- paragraph 1: intro, reference something they have done/published/their business has achieved, etc.
- paragraph 2: segue into why you’re messaging them (be relevant, match your skills to what you think they could need)
- paragraph 3: close into offering to come visit them and take them out for coffee to discuss further (possibly be cheeky with suggested dates, or an alternative close, if you have the balls/lady-balls)
Then hand write the name, signature, and letter address on the envelope -I prefer to use a fountain pen.
If you are feeling ‘baller’ go ahead and add a ‘P.S.’ with what YOU are going to do next, or a stronger CTA.
Then get that letter registered/recorded and see what happens.
Now don’t be afraid to follow up in a week, and if you can’t get the address an email is OK -but make sure you have an epic-as-balls subject line.
(And don’t use any language that will get you dumped in spam).
That’s how you can turn £10 into £1,000’s
Take people out for a coffee, show some effort (I went to NYC for a COFFEE once and that turned into a whole new biz, just a heads up).
Oh and the ‘platinum’ version?
Replace ‘coffee’ with ‘lunch’.
^^^ this works especially well with influencers and those you want to learn from; just make sure you don’t take the pi$$ .
Give it a spin, let me know what happens?